Sunday, January 30, 2011

Picture Book of the Month: Unlovable

I've decided to feature at least one picture book per month starting today. I come across so many adorable, fun, interesting, sweet, and incredible picture books, and I think it would be a great idea to share a few and perhaps spread the love and appreciation for these books.


The first book to be inaugurated into this montly featurette is Unlovable by Dan Yaccarino. I first came across this book while I was working as a Shelving Assistant during graduate school. I shelved books in the whole library, and one day while I was in the children's picture book section, I was towards the end of the picture books when I looked down and saw the spine of a book, and it read "UNLOVABLE." I could not resist such a clever and intriguing title. I pulled the book out and knew right when I looked at it that I'd have to check it out that moment. I did not regret it, and to be honest, this would be the Picture Book of the Month every month if it were up to me.

Unlovable tells the story of Alfred the pug, who thinks that he is unlovable because the other animals in and outside of his home tell him so. One day, a new neighbor moves in and they have a dog named Rex. In order to get Rex to like him, Alfred tells a small lie. After all, Rex is on the other side of the fence and will never know, right? The words and pictures in this book complement each other perfectly. One of the things I enjoy about this book is staring at the pictures and catching all of the details placed in each page by the author, who is also the illustrator. This is one of my favorite books and I bought my own copy because of how much I love it. When I have read it to children, it has had a very positive effect, and they really enjoy it. This would be a really good book to read on any occasion, especially when the theme is dogs and/or friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment